This is our second year living in the city that we do. It has been great! But, this summer I listened to an audiobook that really helped me dive deeper into loving where we live. It's called, "This is Where You Belong: The Art and Science of Loving Where You Live", by Melody Warnick. I really enjoyed it. There were different challenges-to find farmer's markets near you and shop local, to find an outdoor hidden gem, to meet new people, etc. It really helped my husband and I to do things that don't normally do in our area and have fun while doing it! Here's what we did:
1. We went to a minor league baseball game downtown.
2. We found a cool hike nearby that we had never done before.
3. We took a tour of the local Conservation Garden Park and learned about water-wise landscaping (we live in the desert) and plants that are native to our area. My husband even taught me how to play chess (with giant chess pieces!) in the park afterward.
4. I went paddle boarding/kayaking in a new place.
5. We found a Food Truck night in a neighborhood nearby.
6. I hiked with some friends to a nearby waterfall. It was breathtakingly beautiful.
7. I went to the Zoo (for the first time!) with friends. One of the elephants has the same name as me!
I wonder what hidden gems you can find in your area-things you've never done, places you've never seen, or people you haven't met-yet!